To do a proper pull up we must:
- Standing under a pull up bar, reach up and hold onto the bar with an overhand grip. Make sure your hands are about twice your shoulder-width apart.
- Keep your arms straight and hang from the bar so that your arms are taking all of your weight.
- Keeping your body straight and not swinging your weight, pull your body up towards the bar by pulling your elbows down towards your torso at an angle.
- Continue lifting until your chest is nearly touching the bar. You should feel a “squeeze” at the base of your lats (about midway down your back and to the side) as they contract.
- Once your lats have completely contracted at the top of the movement, slowly lower your body to the starting position.