To perform the Military Push-Up properly, you must:
- Starting Position: Kneel on an exercise mat or floor and bring your feet together behind you.
- Slowly lower your body towards the floor while maintaining a rigid torso and head aligned with your spine.
- Do not allow your low back to sag or your hips to hike upwards during this downward phase.
- Continue to lower yourself until your chest or chin touch the mat/floor. Allow your elbows to flare outwards during the lowering phase.
- Press upwards through your arms while maintaining a rigid torso and head aligned with your spine.
- For extra strength think about pushing the floor away from you.
- Do not allow your low back to sag or your hips to hike upwards.
- Continue pressing until the arms are fully extended at the elbows.
- An alternative position is to turn your hands to face forwards and keep your your elbows close to your sides during the downward phase. This shifts the emphasis from the chest muscles onto the triceps and may reduce stresses in the shoulder joint.